Re: GNU Classpath distro DevJam

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: GNU Classpath distro DevJam
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 23:18:49 +0200

Hoi Thomas,

On Thu, 2005-08-18 at 13:20 +0200, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > Various Debian packagers and developers are interested in coming
> > together to improve the Free Software tool chain, the programs and
> > the free runtime environments for software written in the java
> > programming language.
>
> Why don't they just follow the jpackage 'convention' like all the other
> distro's?

A lot of the ideas that the Debian packagers follow are similar or
inspired by the jpackage conventions (except of course using rpm as
archive format). See http://java.debian.net/ for some of the ideas. But
even so getting the different packagers and (upstream) developers
together for an hackfest to share experiences and knowledge is very
worthwhile. We all wish GNU Classpath/gcj/kaffe/etc were complete enough
to function as drop in core libraries, compilers and runtimes for
jpackage, but in reality there is still a little work to be done. The
idea of the meeting is to find the hotspots that are the most
troublesome for the packagers at this moment.

> I know that thats what SuSE uses.

Cool. I didn't knew SuSE was using the free toolchains for their
jpackage efforts. Could you please forward the DevJam call for
participation to the right SuSE mailinglist?

Thanks,