Re: Patches to java.util.zip by Christian Schlichtherle

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: Patches to java.util.zip by Christian Schlichtherle
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 16:23:57 +0200

On Thu, 2005-09-01 at 02:39 +0200, Robert Schuster wrote:
> > http://www.javaworld.com/jw-10-1997/jw-10-sunsuit.html
> Interesting article, especially this one:
>
> "And while Sun can exercise its legal rights over the use of the Java name, it
> can do little to stop Microsoft from implementing a "clean room" version of
> the
> Java virtual machine, says Morgenthal."
>
> :)

Of course. And that is why we are pretty strict on our code contribution
requirements as outlined in the hacking guide and on the developer wiki.
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/docs/hacking.html#SEC2
http://developer.classpath.org/mediation/ClasspathFirstSteps

Microsoft got into trouble because they deliberately used the Java(TM)
trademark to describe and promote their own product, licensed (parts of)
the software they included in their products from Sun and went into
several other undisclosed contractual obligations.