Re: libtool warning in libjawtgnu

From: Thomas Fitzsimmons
Subject: Re: libtool warning in libjawtgnu
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 11:27:22 -0500

On Sun, 2005-11-06 at 14:04 +0000, Frederick C. Druseikis wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Can someone help me understand the significance of the libtool Warning below?
> Google reveals no relevant commentary on this issue.
>
> ------------------
>
> gmake[3]: Entering directory
> `/usr/ports/mystuff/classpath-0.18/w-classpath-0.18/classpath-0.18/native/jawt'
>
> <SNIP>
>
> *** Warning: Linking the shared library libjawtgnu.la against the loadable
> module
> *** libgtkpeer.so.0.0 is not portable!
>
> <SNIP>
>
> gmake[3]: Leaving directory
> `/usr/ports/mystuff/classpath-0.18/w-classpath-0.18/classpath-0.18/native/jawt'
>
> ------------------
>
> I'm porting to openbsd; there are packaging issues but classpath-0.1[89] both
> compile successfully and install through the stock gnu install into
> /usr/local.
>
> Can someone tell me what's trying to be accomplished -- specifically why this
> non-portability is currently permitted?  Is this just a transient until jawt
> is
> put somewhere else?  Or libtool is fixed?

Libtool is complaining about linking a shared library to a loadable
module.  This works perfectly fine on GNU/Linux but is apparently
unsupported on MacOS X (and possibly other systems).

Perhaps a developer whose system can't handle shared library-to-loadable
module linking can test libjawtgnu.so and submit a patch.  I don't have
access to any such system.

The patch would likely split libgtkpeer.so into a small wrapper loadable
module and a larger shared library.  Both the wrapper and libjawtgnu.so
would link to the common shared library.

Tom