Silly Java question

From: Jeff Bailey
Subject: Silly Java question
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 22:00:33 -0500

Heya All,

I'm just beating on the KerberosPrincipal class, and am trying to deal
the comments given by people.

The problem I'm having is that I have a name string and a type int.

This is the comment at the top of my equals function:

   * From Section 7.2 of rfc1510: When comparing names, a name of type
   * UNKNOWN will match principals authenticated with names of any type.
   * A principal authenticated with a name of type UNKNOWN, however, will
   * only match other names of type UNKNOWN.

But how do I encode that logic into a hashCode?  I find the C++ hacker
in me wanting to reach out and overload operator= and solve the problem.
=)  I just don't know enough about hashing logic to get this right
without help.

Tks,
Jeff Bailey