Re: XML parsing problems

From: Chris Burdess
Subject: Re: XML parsing problems
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 20:03:30 +0000

Chris Burdess wrote:
> We discovered over IRC that there is a major problem with XML parsing using
> the StAX driver, caused by a bug in BufferedInputStream. I'm therefore
> reverting the default XML parser to aelfred2 until this is resolved.

Further investigation revealed that the problem was more to do with the fact
that InputStreamReader buffers bytes (Sun's implementation does the same).
I have rewritten the XML parser's streaming mechanism to deal with this.

Note that the behaviour of BufferedInputStream is correct - but that of
BufferedReader is not. I don't yet know why, so I have added a new
gnu.xml.stream.BufferedReader class which mimics the behaviour of
BufferedInputStream.

Please test the new XML parser on as many weird and wonderful XML sources
as you can, and report any problems to me either by mail or Bugzilla - I will
try to deal with them before release, or we can revert to aelfred2 again if
there are other showstoppers.
--
Chris Burdess
  "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety