Re: SecurityManager troubles

From: David Lichteblau
Subject: Re: SecurityManager troubles
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 23:00:10 +0100

Quoting Archie Cobbs (address@hidden):
> Gary Benson wrote:
> >Isn't the boot class loader solely for java.lang?
>
> No.. under the Java2 delegation model, the boot class loader
> should be given the first chance to try and load *every* class.
>
> Typically it will only find classes in glibj.zip (or rt.jar,
> or whatever your VM equivalent of the core library is) because
> that's all it knows to look in. So then the child classloader(s)
> get to try.

FWIW, last time I had problems similar to the one being discussed it was
because classpath's default application classloader calls
checkPackageAccess() before giving the bootstrap classloader a chance to
load the class, instead of the other way around.

So the failure mode was:
  * testlet installs itself as a security manager
  * testlet tries to load a class
    * checkPackageAccess is called
      * the security manager needs a *Permission class that hasn't been
        loaded yet
        * checkPackageAccess is called to see whether the application
          classloader may load into java/security/
          * the security manager still hasn't got its *Permission class
            * ...

d.