classpathx-discuss

Re: [Classpathx-discuss] ANT build in infobus

From: Andrew Selkirk
Subject: Re: [Classpathx-discuss] ANT build in infobus
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 22:04:14 -0500

On December 3, 2001 04:05 am, Raif S. Naffah wrote:
> At 09:56 PM 12/2/01 -0500, Andrew Selkirk wrote:
> >ANT is awesome!  I have been learning a lot about ANT recently at work and
> >I'm quite impressed with its simplicity and flexibility.
>
> we're using it already for the gnu.crypto project.  if we're to use ANT it
> would be a good idea to standardise on one way of using it; ie. standard
> mandatory targets, optional targets, syntax, organisation of the file,
> etc... and may be also a set of taskdefs for GNU projects -or at least for
> the classpathx ones;  basically things that would make it easy for new
> developers to intervene/adapt and use as quickly as possible with minimal
> learning curve.

I'm definitely all for that!!  From the scripts I have written so far, most
of the build.xml can be quite generic and it can be personalized from a
properties file.   Also, we can standardize on directory structures, etc.
For example, where do junit test files live?  In a {base}/test directory,
a {base}/source/test directory, or along side the actual class files.  The
one in infobus has a source directory under a top level test.  The build
script generates a build, results, and report in this test area.  Is there
any value to this structure?

Mandatory targets could include:
compile - compilation
javadoc - JavaDoc
test - run test suite
release - generate a release

> i've already an iteration of an AntStyle document for a coding style (a
> JavaStyle one also exists) for the gnu.crypto project and wouldn't mind if
> others have a look, adopt and/or modify to suit.  if people are interested
> i can email it to them or if enough interest exists i can post it to this
> list.

I'll have a read.  Thanks.

> haven't tried that before, mainly because of the size of the (xalan/xerces)
> jars involved.  where can i have a look at your build.xml?

In the infobus module.

Later,
Andrew...