classpathx-discuss

Re: [Classpathx-discuss] ANT and JUNIT issues (automake???)

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: Re: [Classpathx-discuss] ANT and JUNIT issues (automake???)
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 11:45:09 -0000

> - The current Makefile.in does a bulk compilation of all the source
>   files. I don't know about that approach outside of traditional (.class)
>   compilers. Using gcj, I am not sure you can compile all sources in a
>   single (.o) file. In any case that does not look right. Typically
>   you'd like one object per package. Also automake generates the classic
>   one java file --> one object type of compilation that is not optimum
>   either.

The current makefile does that for ease of development more than anything,
it's much easier to construct a list of changed java files and then batch
compile them than run the compiler for every file.

> I'll be happy to post a tar file with the autoconf/automake layer for
> gnu-crypto if anyone is interested. It supports javac, jikes and gcj
> and build both jar and shared libraries for the gcj compilation.
>
> I have to say that I am a bit reluctant to replace it with the current
> classpathx Makefile approach.

I'd like to have on makefile standard across all the projects. I have setup
the simple Makefile for most of the projects but I would like to see it
standardised as per the GNU make standards (ie: put in all the stuff you
mentioned is missing).

If that requires automake so be it... I'd very much like to see your tar...
why not check it in to crypto (perhaps with a temporary name) and let me see
it?

Nic