classpathx-discuss

Re: [Classpathx-discuss] ANT and JUNIT issues (automake???)

From: David Brownell
Subject: Re: [Classpathx-discuss] ANT and JUNIT issues (automake???)
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 13:33:21 -0800

> > >     Shared libraries (for gcj), automake does all the work with only
> > >     3 lines of input.
> >
> > I'd be interested in seeing ClasspathX adopt automake (what
> > version though??) if it it solves those problems.  So I'd be interested
> > in seeing your gnu.crypto autoconf/automake files.
>
> You'll need recent versions, I have:
>
>    autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.52e
>    automake (GNU automake) 1.5a

Cygwin includes both those new versions and the older (more generally
available) versions ... I tend to agree that since only people maintaining
the classpathx packages should need to use autoconf/automake, it'd be
reasonable to require those versions.  BUT:  make sure they fail cleanly
when anyone tries to use the old versions!!

> I'll checkout the latest gnu-crypto and tune it against this version.
> Sorry I am runing out of time this week. I'll post something over the
> weekend.

Looking forward to something that "gnujaxp" can use... :)

>    gcj -o pkg1.o -c pkg1/*.java

So you're mostly thinking about the "compile packages faster" question.
A similar solution could work for the "compile to shared object" case.

> Automake generates a Makefile that compiles java files one at a time.

Likely worth avoiding, though as you note GCJ is faster than "javac" so
such penalties shouldn't be significant -- when using GCJ.

> For us writing the software, I would really recommend ANT. ANT is
> the best tool to recompile small portion of a project at an increadible
> speed.

Actually Nic's Makefile templates achieve the same goal.  Perhaps not
as elegantly as might be desired, but "javac ... @filelist" just gets the
files that have been recently modified.

- Dave