classpathx-discuss

Re: [Classpathx-discuss] Fw: [Classpathx-xml] What is the status of gnuj

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: Re: [Classpathx-discuss] Fw: [Classpathx-xml] What is the status of gnujaxp?
Date: 13 Apr 2003 14:50:19 +0100

Dalibor Topic <address@hidden> writes:

> Salut Arnaud,
>
> --- Arnaud Vandyck <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Nic Ferrier <address@hidden> wrote:
> > > GNUJAXP is under development, I am working on the build system and
> > > when I've done that I'll be working on bugs and missing features.
> >
> > Why don't you base the build system on jakarta-ant? Apache License is
> > also free software, isn't it?
>
> Kind of, but GPL incompatible according to the FSF.
>
> And I don't know if any free VM can really run latest/any Ant releases all
> that
> well (kaffe can with a bit of prodding). I've had a long, boring discussion on
> that topic (and how far GPL applies accross interpreter boundaries, the annual
> mild licensing flamewar) with a debian developer archived here
> http://www.kaffe.org/pipermail/kaffe/2002-August/027705.html . In short, if
> you
> use Ant, you automatically kick yourself out of debian-free as long as no
> other
> VM can 'legally'[1] run ant.

If we really cared we would get ANT builds up and running on free VMs.

But none of the contributing hackers really likes ANT much. It's no
suprise, make is a GNU tool. Why should we have to download ANT.

I would have no problem including an ANT build in GNUJAXP if someone
wants to make one. But I don't have the time.

Nic