classpathx-javamail

Re: [Classpathx-javamail] javax.mail package

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: Re: [Classpathx-javamail] javax.mail package
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2001 18:57:29 +0000

>1. what is the target api for the javax.mail packages, 1.1 or 1.2? i
> don't know that there were any very important changes apart from
> the content streaming, but it has to be one or the other.

I think 1.2 is the way to go... that's what I was intending because it
has support for some IMAP extensions (like quotas).

>2. there are lots of new i/o functions in java 1.4, including
>asynchronous i/o, which may be very important to the stability of
>certain providers. i haven't seen yet whether there is a way to lock
>files, but if there is this would be really important to the mbox
>provider. 1.4 also provides a standard logging api that would be
>handy for reporting progress and exceptions in the spi layer. i can
>come up with a better-researched analysis of the benefits, but clearly
>it's of no use if we have to support 1.1 at all costs. so, is there
>any chance we can fork development and keep a 1.1 branch and also work
>on a 1.4 branch, or is this just far too much hassle?

1.4 support is difficult... the free software community doesn't have
much 1.4 even started...

If we could do 1.4 support as an add on, perhaps using autoconf to
produce the targets files (in combination with some factory system
perhaps) then I think it would be ok.

I would have no object to some providers being 1.4 dependant only.

Nic