classpathx-javamail

[Classpathx-javamail] Re: running sun and gnu javamail implementation in

From: Chris Burdess
Subject: [Classpathx-javamail] Re: running sun and gnu javamail implementation in parallel out of tomcat SSL'ed web-app
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 12:38:40 +0100

Ralf Hauser wrote:
> Using your javamail and gnu crypto to send out TLS protected mails appears
> to very attractive. Not being brave enough to immediately phase out the sun
> implementation altogether:
> Is there a way to tell my program that for certain mails, it shall use your
> implementation and for other destinations sun's?
>
> How to avoid class-loader problems in this case?

Normally, it would not be possible. The Session implementation only supports
one implementation of a provider for a given protocol. If you're a
classloader wizard you may be able to work out how to load two different
implementations of JavaMail into memory at the same time, but I don't advise
you to do this.

> Also how to avoid disturbing the tomcat web-app doing that if it uses an SSL
> factory on its own?
>
> I do know the approach of
> http://www.javaworld.com/javatips/jw-javatip115.html and
> http://www.portaljava.com/home/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=2049
> 2 (see also http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES-304), but those
> exactly have the issue that they interfere with my tomcat.

GNU JavaMail will use a configured JSSE provider, so if Tomcat has one set
up it will use that. The provider must support SSLv3 and TLSv1 (these are
the same thing).

If your IMAP/POP3/SMTP server supports TLS then it will be used, no
configuration necessary. Otherwise, consult the provider documentation for
session options you can set; the GNU provider options are different from
Sun's, especially the socketFactory.class options etc do not exist for GNU
providers.
--
Chris Burdess