classpathx-javamail

Re: [Classpathx-javamail] Rework of mbox provider

From: Chris Burdess
Subject: Re: [Classpathx-javamail] Rework of mbox provider
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 21:03:54 +0100

Countach wrote:
If I understand the new code correctly, the MBOX code will now name folders differently depending on the platform. i.e. the hierarchy separator is backslash for windows platform and forword slash for Unix.

I wonder if this isn't a step backwards? Previously the MBOX hierarchy separator was always forward slash regardless of platform (just like URLs),

Actually there was an inconsistency in the old code: the hierarchy separator was always reported as being the platform separator, but folder paths were only interpreted as if the separator was a slash.

and code that uses it doesn't have to worry about what platform it is on. Now with this setup, the clients of this library have to do a lot more work to get the same level of platform independance.

I agree. I've applied a patch which allows you to use either a slash or the platform separator. The Folder.getFullName method will report the platform separator though, as will getSeparator. You can also use URLNames to reference your mailboxes, which always use slashes in their pathnames.

This code change gives you more options with DOS/Windows filenames; in particular, you should be able to do something like

  Folder f = store.getFolder("C:\\My Mailboxes\\My Inbox.mbx");

as well as

  Folder f = store.getFolder("C:/My Mailboxes/My Inbox.mbx");

and

Folder f = store.getFolder(new URLName("mbox:///C%3A/My%20Mailboxes/My%20Inbox.mbx"));
--
Chris Burdess