classpathx-javamail

[Classpathx-javamail] Re: Mail 1.0 tar ball problems

From: Chris Burdess
Subject: [Classpathx-javamail] Re: Mail 1.0 tar ball problems
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 19:54:25 +0100

Fernando Nasser wrote:
Problem #1

It seems there are differences with javamail reference implementation.

In Appendix A of javamail (http://java.sun.com/products/javamail/JavaMail-1.2.pdf)

If mail.smtp.host is not define, it uses mail.host and if the property is not defined, it uses by default local machine.
(page 67).

But it seems that with GNU javamail, it is required :
 Unexpected Exception No SMTP host set (mail.smtp.host)
 javax.mail.MessagingException: No SMTP host set (mail.smtp.host)
 gnu.mail.providers.smtp.SMTPTransport.protocolConnect(Unknown Source)

Now fixed in CVS HEAD.

Problem #2:

There is also other failure on the API :

With sun reference implementation :
$ java -cp mail.jar:. mail.TestJavaMail
Test Passed.

With gnu javamail :
$ java -cp gnu-mail.jar:. mail.TestJavaMail
javax.mail.internet.AddressException: Missing final @domain in string Florent
       at javax.mail.internet.InternetAddress.validate(Unknown Source)
       at javax.mail.internet.InternetAddress.<init>(Unknown Source)
       at javax.mail.internet.InternetAddress.<init>(Unknown Source)
       at mail.TestJavaMail.main(TestJavaMail.java:44)
Test Failed !

The documentation clearly states that the InternetAddress(String) constructor is equivalent to calling the InternetAddress(String, boolean) constructor with the second parameter set true. However, if in the given test program, the constructor is replaced with the boolean version with the second parameter set true, it fails with Sun's implementation. Therefore there is either a problem with the API documentation or a bug in Sun's implementation.

Problem (or problems) #3:

Also, there are other problems on the signature of the gnu javamail API which is not compliant with the javamail API

I can give you an example :
Class javax.mail.Service, method queueEvent :*

*http://java.sun.com/j2ee/1.4/docs/api/javax/mail/ Service.html#queueEvent(javax.mail.event.MailEvent,%20java.util.Vector) (or for 1.3 : http://java.sun.com/j2ee/sdk_1.3/techdocs/api/javax/mail/ Service.html#queueEvent(javax.mail.event.MailEvent,%20java.util.Vector)

Then in GNU classpath :
http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/classpathx/mail/source/javax/ mail/Service.java?rev=1.9&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

No queueEvent method.

Another issue :
http://java.sun.com/j2ee/1.4/docs/api/javax/mail/Multipart.html#parts
Here parts is a Vector.

And in GNU Classpath, it is a List :

 /**
  * List of BodyPart objects.
  */
 protected List parts;

http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/classpathx/mail/source/javax/ mail/Multipart.java?rev=1.7&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

The above two issues are fixed. The first was due to the fact that this API change between JavaMail 1.1 and later versions was not documented in the changelog. The second was my fault, sorry about that.

There are other signatures problems. It was just some examples of failures.

I can't fix things I don't know about. Please report the other issues, otherwise they won't get fixed.
--
Chris Burdess