classpathx-javamail

Re: [Classpathx-javamail] Bug: duplicate message ids

From: Chris Burdess
Subject: Re: [Classpathx-javamail] Bug: duplicate message ids
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 09:59:46 +0100

Boris Folgmann wrote:
I'm using log4j-1.2.13 in a tomcat webapp. I've configured log4j to send an email for errors of category ERROR and higher. Our old configuration was SUN's javamail-1.3.1-2jpp and tomcat5-5.0.30-11jpp. The generated message ids were of the format

30810565.1172372608329.JavaMail.tomcat4@<fqdn of the server>

tomcat4 is the UNIX user of the tomcat5 installation. The numbers were constantly changing, so we had no duplicate message ids.

No we moved to a new system where we use classpathx-mail-1.1-1jpp and tomcat55-5.5.17-4jpp. The format of the message ids is now

1677625.1177554343570.JavaMail.tomcat@<only hostname of the server>

tomcat is the UNIX user of the tomcat55 installation. The numbers are not constantly changing, so we have lots of duplicate message ids. The problem is, that my cyrus-imapd eliminates all mails with the same message id, so we're losing a lot of mails here.

As I don't know who creates these message ids I'm asking you if that could be a javamail problem or a log4j problem.

It looks like it could be a JavaMail problem. The message-id is generated as a result of a call to the updateHeaders() method, and should be unique for each message instance.

I can update the algorithm to use the FQDN of the host, that's not a problem (although it means that GNU JavaMail will rely on Java 1.4 or later, I don't think that will be a problem for most people).

If the second number is not changing, that indicates a much more serious problem. Could you give an example of the code you're using to create and send the messages? You're not reusing MimeMessage object instances?