classpathx-xml

Re: [Classpathx-xml] Automatic xmlns attributes on the document element

From: David Brownell
Subject: Re: [Classpathx-xml] Automatic xmlns attributes on the document element
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 14:46:00 -0800

> According to section 1.1.8 of the DOM level 2 spec rootElement should
> not have an attribute for xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg";.
> Specifically, "Similarly, creating a node with a namespace prefix and
> namespace URI, or changing the namespace prefix of a node, does not
> result in any addition, removal, or modification of any special
> attributes for declaring the appropriate XML namespaces. ..."

One could argue that -- creating such attributes along with nodes does
indeed not result in addition/removal/modification.  In that case, there
was never a state where the document didn't have the attribute.   If they'd
said that such attributes are never created automatically, that would have
been unambiguous.

But I won't, I'll just chalk that up as another bizarre DOM notion.  :)

> When I run this code with Xerces-J 1.4.3 and Crimson 1.1.3 rootElement
> does not have any attributes, which is correct. When I run this code
> with GNU-JAXP 1.0-beta-1 it does have such an attribute. I strongly
> suspect this is a bug.

I'll call it a bug and change this behavior, purely because I don't feel
like bringing up this DOM issue with the DOM spec and testing WGs.
(This case was not covered by the last set of DOM tests I saw.)

- Dave