classpathx-xml

Re: [Classpathx-xml] Note on JDK compatibility with GNU JAXP XPath

From: Dalibor Topic
Subject: Re: [Classpathx-xml] Note on JDK compatibility with GNU JAXP XPath
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 19:56:40 +0100

Chris Burdess wrote:
Phil Shaw wrote:

Several of the new XPath classes that Chris has contributed cannot be
compiled with the Sun 1.3 JDK because they use
java.util.LinkedHashSet, introduced in Java 1.4. The affected classes
are:

gnu.xml.xpath.Expr
gnu.xml.xpath.Step
gnu.xml.xpath.UnionExpr

I am not aware this project has any specific compatibility objectives
with Sun, but the project home page does use examples relating to Sun
1.2 JDK and above in the documentation section.

http://www.gnu.org/software/classpathx/jaxp/jaxp.html

Is it time a policy was adopted on this?

Sure, I'd like to hear discussion on this.

For the record, I am concerned that we maintain compatibility with GNU Classpath and with all known free Java compilers. GNU JAXP will shortly be merged with GNU Classpath, and the assumption will be that java.util.LinkedHashSet will be available, as it is in the same codebase.

'Whatever is in GNU Classpath' sounds sane to me.

cheers,
dalibor topic