cons-discuss

sccons: what's happening?

From: Alex Jacques
Subject: sccons: what's happening?
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 15:22:06 -0400

Sometime ago (Summer 2000?) it was announced by the Software Carpentry
contest (http://software-carpentry.codesourcery.com/) that Steve Knight and
his 'sccons' proposal had won the build category contest. IIRC there were
many well deserved congratulations given to Steve on this mailing list. Now
I see on the SC website (which is faithfully updated every other year) that:

"The design competitions have all been concluded. CodeSourcery is actively
developing the testing tool (QMTest) and issue-tracking tool (QMTrack).
Pre-release versions of these tools will be available sometime in the summer
of 2001. At this time, no implementation is being done on the configuration
and build tools."

As I understood it the winner of the design competition was going to be paid
to develop his proposal.

Steve: any news on what's happening with that?

As much as I love the Perl based Cons I thought that a well designed suite
of tools was a nice idea.