cons-discuss

using relative paths in compile command

From: Doug Alcorn
Subject: using relative paths in compile command
Date: 13 Jul 2001 12:58:51 -0400

I don't know if this is true or not.  I've noticed that when I gdb
executables, it has the absolute path for the source file compile in.
I'm assuming this is because gcc puts the absolute path in the symbol
table because it gets an absolute path on the compile command.  For
instance, here's one of the compile commands that cons generates:

gcc -g -D_DEBUG -DUNIX -DLINUX -W -DI386 -DTT_EN -Wno-multichar
-DTTSERVER -DSERVER -DTEST_TRACK
-I/mnt/devel/TestTrack/server/test/export/include/xerces
-I/mnt/devel/TestTrack/server/test/server
-I/mnt/devel/TestTrack/server/test/server/TestTrack
-I/mnt/devel/TestTrack/server/test/common
-I/mnt/devel/TestTrack/server/test/common/PowerPlantWin
-I/mnt/devel/TestTrack/server/test/common/Dundas
-I/mnt/devel/TestTrack/server/test/common/Unix
-I/mnt/devel/TestTrack/server/test/common/CodeBase/Unix
-I/mnt/devel/TestTrack/server/test/common/TestTrack -c
/mnt/devel/TestTrack/server/test/common/CSPDbBuilder.cpp -o
/mnt/devel/TestTrack/server/test/common/CSPDbBuilder.o

Notice how everything has an absolute path (esp. the source file and
object file).  Is there anyway to get cons to use relative paths?

Ultimately, the path for those sources are specified with an
'#../TestTrack/' from the top level of our source tree (we make
extensive use of the Link command to build outside of our source
tree).

Basically what I think I want is for the source file to be specified
with a relative path (to the directory of the Construct) and the
object file to have an absolute path (to put it in the correct
directory outside of the source dir).  I think this would give me
relative paths in my symbol table.  And that would allow me to use the
'directory' command in gdb to have it use the source files in their
original location instead of in their Linked location.
--
 (__) Doug Alcorn (mailto:address@hidden http://www.lathi.net)
 oo / PGP 02B3 1E26 BCF2 9AAF 93F1  61D7 450C B264 3E63 D543