consensus

Re: [GNU/consensus] [SocialSwarm-D] Zooko's Triangle

From: Melvin Carvalho
Subject: Re: [GNU/consensus] [SocialSwarm-D] Zooko's Triangle
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 19:34:54 +0200

On 25 July 2013 19:19, Klaus Wuestefeld <address@hidden> wrote:
People wont authenticate multiple facets, will they?

Sure they will, at the moment we have a world split between http profiles and email addresses.  http is more popular, largely due to facebook, but there's other systems such as tent, indieweb, foaf etc.  email is pushed hard by google, microsoft, yahoo and friends.

If you had to choose 1 of the two http is superior imho because you can derefernce http to find more information, you cant dereference email easily.  Additionally, a normal user can create a profile page, but running an email server is normally an enterprise level task.

Strangely, it seems to be a religious war for the last 5 years, and I have no idea why.  It has slowed us down, and unnecessary.

The point here is that it does not have to be either/or, it can be AND.  You can imagine other facets in future being added such as telephone, key, name, fingerprint, qr code or whatever.

As it happens, authentication is rare, and normally happens as a one-off.  After that an unguessable string is normally shared between parties (eg in a cookie) to mean you dont have to authenticate again.  People often login today by clicking a button.  If your public key is in your client, you just need to click and not type or remember anything.

Authentication and identity are different concepts which are commonly grouped together.  It's rare that people look up other people by email when adding a friend, they will use the real name, and this is also displayed on your wall etc.