consensus

Re: [GNU/consensus] [whistle] I.0 Looking Through The Prism

From: Mikael \"MMN-o\" Nordfeldth
Subject: Re: [GNU/consensus] [whistle] I.0 Looking Through The Prism
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 10:10:29 +0200

First of all, I have to say I very much enjoyed this
resume-kind-of-post. Kudos for doing it!

On 2013-07-26 08:39, hellekin wrote:
> === Meanwhile, Plumbing... ===
>
> At the heart of the controversy lies the loss of functionality that
> accompanied the switch from StatusNet to Pump.IO.
>
> Not only visually[1], but more importantly about broken links, missing
> hashtags, the lack of group support, and federation features in the
> core of the Pump.  People were expecting a drop-in replacement, but it
> feels more like a drop-out.

I believe people should not have expected identi.ca to run at all as
long as it did. Evan obviously went to great lengths to keep it running,
despite an overly resource demanding codebase.

The real problem, I think, is that identi.ca was "THE StatusNet site"
(heck, it wasn't even "StatusNet" for most users!), effectively removing
benefits of federation. Had more people taken off to start their own
nodes and federate, not a single one of them had been affected by this
change.

I think Evan is doing the right thing to turn the ship around and set
for new land. And anyone along for the ride will have to oblige, as he's
paying the server bills. If anyone complains, he's handing out free (as
in beer and speech) lifeboats in the form of source code, and GNU Social
will try to accommodate these users with patches.

Personally I can't see why people didn't just start federating away from
identi.ca long ago. Using a federated software without actually using
federation only results in centralisation. And then complaining just
shows a lack of insight, just like complaining that gmail.com is serving
you mail-content related ads or turning off XMPP.

...now what one may do to help people start their own federating nodes,
that's something to discuss.

--
Mikael "MMN-o" Nordfeldth
XMPP/mail: address@hidden