Re: [coreutils] cut feature request

From: wayana
Subject: Re: [coreutils] cut feature request
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 06:54:24 +0200

+1

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 11:25 AM, Henrikki Almusa <address@hidden> wrote:
Laurent Lyaudet wrote:
it would be useful that cut handles negative numbers parameters for
columns and fields as "from the end" parameters.

I think using awk or something similar is overkill for solving that problem.

Why?  I think awk is the perfect tool for it.  It already handles the
problem well.  It is standard.

Awk:
 $ echo one two three | awk '{print$NF}'
 three

 $ echo one two three | awk '{print$(NF-1)}'
 two

Perl:
 $ echo one two three | perl -lane 'print $F[-1]'
 three

If cut included all of the features of awk (or perl) then cut would
also be overkill for the problem too, right?  Except then there
wouldn't be a way to avoid the bloat by using the small and light
weight cut, because cut wouldn't be small and light weight anymore,
right?

yes awk it is standard, but since it's a multi-purpose tool, it's sometimes more difficult to read (as a human) in big script files than commands like cut.

I'd like to add my voice to adding this feature as well. I have a table from which I want to retrieve 3rd and 2nd last columns. I can do this with perl

cat foo.csv | perl -lane 'print join("\t",@F[$#F-2 .. $#F-1])' > bar.csv

I think it would be much nicer to be able to use cut in here.

cat foo.csv | cut -f-2,-3 > bar.csv

Sometimes, this kind of problem can be solved by using rev:

$ cat foo.csv | rev | cut -f2,3 | rev

Nobody is saying that all the functions of perl (or awk) should be in cut, but ability to start from end of line instead of start would be useful. Alternative to -N (as that can be mixed to other options or valid syntax) might be

cat foo.csv | cut --start-end -f2,3 > bar.csv

I like the idea of negative fields number, but I have no idea if it would kill performances or not...

Thanks,
Ps. please CC me as I'm not on coreutils list.
--
Henrikki Almusa