Re: [coreutils] cp enhancement ?

From: Leon Free
Subject: Re: [coreutils] cp enhancement ?
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 08:30:23 +0200

Le 18/09/2010 14:47, Nikanth K a écrit :
> On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 1:59 PM, Leon Free <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Hi coreutils list
>>
>> Google didnt help me much about that : I'm looking some functionality to
>> the cp util that prints a progress bar (===...==>), % copied, ETA, etc
>> when copying large files. Any suggestion ?
>>

> http://sourceforge.net/projects/progresscommand/
> might help.
>
> Thanks
> Nikanth

Thanks Nikanth.
The progress command only prints the % copied (progress cp sourcefile
destfile). It's a part of what I'm looking for, but it has limitations
(doesnt print the ETA). The readme file says "If operating on multiple
files, it cannot show the overall progress, only the progress within
each individual file."
I think the rsync command is a better alternative (thanks Bob!). I've
been told rsync was slower than cp (see for instance
http://rothwerx.com/content/simple-speed-comparison-between-cp-mv-and-rsync)

Beyond the cp/rsync speed race, I believe cp is essentially for copying
and rsync for system sync (I use rsync -ruvE for backing up), and it
would be nice if cp had args/options similar to rsync.
LF