Re: Files full of zeros with coreutils-8.11 and xfs (FIEMAP related?)

From: Eric Sandeen
Subject: Re: Files full of zeros with coreutils-8.11 and xfs (FIEMAP related?)
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 09:13:19 -0500

On 4/19/11 9:09 AM, Ted Ts'o wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 05:45:38PM +1000, Dave Chinner wrote:
>> You are *not listening*. There is no #2. FIEMAP returns the extent
>> state _on disk_ at the time of the call.
>
> Dave, you're being rather strident about your insistence about what
> FIEMAP's semantics are.  Part of the problem here is that it's *not*
> clear or settled.
>
> If it really is the state _on_ _disk_, does XFS really have a DELALLOC
> bit _on_ _disk_?
>
>                                       - Ted

no of course it doesn't....

But I too am confused about Dave's assertion that it only reflects ondisk state
when we have that pesky delalloc flag.

Whose idea was that, anyway? ;)

I'd certainly buy the argument that it -should- only reflect ondisk state, and
we should nuke the delalloc flag from orbit, if we could, though.

-Eric