Problem with Coreutils & i18n patch

From: Matthew Burgess
Subject: Problem with Coreutils & i18n patch
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 13:31:03 -0600

Hi all,

I realise that the i18n patch [0] has already been rejected by
upstream coreutils developers, but was wondering whether
you might be able to tell me why it's having the effect we're
seeing on builds of Coreutils-8.11.

When running 'make check-root', the following is output to
tests/.built-programs:

------
 cd .. && /bin/sh ./config.status src/Makefile depfiles
config.status: creating src/Makefile
[ base64 basename cat chcon chgrp chmod chown chroot cksum comm cp csplit cut
date dd df dir dircolors dirname du echo env expand expr factor false fmt fold
ginstall groups head hostid id join kill link ln logname ls md5sum mkdir mkfifo
mknod mktemp mv nice nl nohup nproc od paste pathchk pinky pr printenv printf
ptx pwd readlink rm rmdir runcon seq sha1sum sha224sum sha256sum sha384sum
sha512sum shred shuf sleep sort split stat stdbuf stty sum sync tac tail tee
test timeout touch tr true truncate tsort tty uname unexpand uniq unlink uptime
users vdir wc who whoami yes
------

Now, obviously, when the misc/help-version test is run, which
read the .built-programs file, they fail because it'll try to
run 'cd --version'.

So, the questions I have are why src/Makefile need to be rebuilt?rebuilding,
and why/how do those rebuild commands end up in tests/.built-programs

I presume it's being triggered by the patching of tests/Makefile.am
but I've no idea why/how the two are linked, and how we may be able
to work around this (aside from obviously dropping the i18n patch
completely).

Thanks,

Matt.

[0]