Re: sort --parallel problem?

From: Roman Rybalko
Subject: Re: sort --parallel problem?
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 12:03:54 +0400

Jim Meyering wrote:
Dmitry Sivachenko wrote:

I am using coreutils-8.12 on FreeBSD-7.2 (compiled from FreeBSD ports).
When I use --parallel option, I frequently (not always, but often) get
the following error:
Fatal error 'mutex is on list' at line XXX in file
/usr/src/lib/libthr/thread/thr_mutex.c (errno = 0)
and sort aborts.
Is it a known issue?

This is the first I've heard of that problem
Is it FreeBSD-specific?

Could be.

Sometimes happens for me, but with different tools, my own particularly.
Seems FreeBSD's pthread_mutex_init does not clear the memory, and then may be possible situation when random mutex data interfere with internal lists.
memset(&mutex, 0, sizeof(mutex)) before pthread_mutex_init fixes the problem for me.
Using FreeBSD-8.x
--
WBR,
Roman Rybalko