RE: PATCH: relpath

From: Voelker, Bernhard
Subject: RE: PATCH: relpath
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 12:16:40 +0100

Pádraig Brady wrote:
> OK lets decide first if we're going with a single or separate commands.
> There seems to be an even split on that preference,
> which I think can be summarised as these two options:
>
>   1. relpath¹; realpath; readlink
>
>   2. realpath² --relative --canon --link
>
> cheers,
> Pádraig.
>
> ¹ Other names suggested: relname
> ² Other names suggested: getpath, tao, getpathname

The advantage of 2 over 1 is that it could combine options
... which is only useful for --relative --link. Is this
much of use?
Additionally, the readlink utility would not disappear,
so the functionality would be doubled anyway.

Therefore, I vote for 1., plus suggesting another name:
    diffpath
(because "rel..." reminds me of "release" ...).

Have a nice day,
Berny