Re: bug#10363: df vs. long-named /dev/disk/by-uuid/... file system devic

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: Re: bug#10363: df vs. long-named /dev/disk/by-uuid/... file system device names
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 15:00:20 +0100

Pádraig Brady wrote:

> On 12/29/2011 02:09 PM, Jim Meyering wrote:
>> On systems with recent kernel/tools, a symlink from /etc/mtab to
>> /proc/mounts, and a by-UUID mount (i.e., soon, nearly everyone),
>> you will see something like the following when running "df -hT":
>>
>>   Filesystem Type Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
>>   rootfs rootfs 11G 1.9G 8.0G 19% /
>>   /dev/disk/by-uuid/828fc648-9f30-43d8-a0b1-f7096a2edb66 ext4 11G
>> 1.9G 8.0G 19% /
>
> Ouch.
>
> BTW, this is the first mail I've gotten about 10363?

The first message I received had these headers:

    From: address@hidden
    Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2011 08:40:42 +0800
    Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden

> I guess this is the right thing to do.
> I.E. have higher level paths in /proc/mounts, allowing
> tools that require lower level paths to traverse the links
> and pick the appropriate one.
>
> The highest level path needs to be available to do this,
> so I suppose this is appropriate in /proc/mounts,
> even though it might not be the most appropriate for
> human consumption, as can be seen above.
>
> The patch looks good.
> I guess "9" is the only questionable bit.
> On my Fedora 16 system I have in /proc/mounts:
>
>   /dev/mapper/vg_tp1-lv_root ...... /
>
> That's a fairly informative name, whereas the links further

Good point.
I've just posted a revision that replaces only /dev/disk/by-uuid/... symlinks.

> resolve to a fairly generic:
>
>   /dev/dm-2
>
> Hmm, I was contemplating using the old wrap limit of 19,
> but apart from not handling the above, using a width
> is inconsistent.  Perhaps it's better to always resolve?

I'd rather keep this minimal, since it changes the default.
Dereferencing all device symlinks seems like a job for a new option,
assuming there's sufficient justification.