Re: PATCH: relpath

From: Pádraig Brady
Subject: Re: PATCH: relpath
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 22:42:04 +0000

On 12/12/2011 12:24 AM, Pádraig Brady wrote:
> FYI I'm not forgetting about this.
> This week I'll be travelling with work,
> but I intend to tackle this early the following week.

Sorry for the delay.
Attached is the realpath implementation, which I think
turned into a good cohesive set of functionality.
It has this interface:

Usage: src/realpath [OPTION] FILE...
Print the resolved absolute file name;
all but the last component must exist

  -e, --canonicalize-existing  all components of the path must exist
  -m, --canonicalize-missing   no components of the path need exist
  -L, --logical                resolve `..' components before symlinks
  -P, --physical               resolve symlinks as encountered (default)
  -q, --quiet                  suppress most error messages
      --relative-to=FILE       print the resolved path relative to FILE
      --relative-base=FILE     print absolute paths unless paths below FILE
  -s, --strip                  don't expand symlinks
  -z, --zero                   separate output with NUL rather than newline

      --help     display this help and exit
      --version  output version information and exit

I was going to add a --readlink option to call readlink(3),
but that's a separate function really, and since readlink(1)
is widely available, I thought it better to not duplicate?

I was going to add a --common-prefix mode, to print
the common prefix of all supplied paths.
We can do this in future anyway.

Note this patch required this small update to gnulib:
http://git.sv.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=gnulib.git;a=commit;h=8bcd0399

cheers,
Pádraig