Confusion in 'join' manual?

From: Peng Yu
Subject: Confusion in 'join' manual?
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 00:16:05 -0600

Hi,

The following description is confusing to me. Since "--nocheck-order"
is default, I'm wondering how can I not to give it?

I tried specifying --nocheck-order in the command line, the warnings
disappear. So by default, --nocheck-order is not specified?

".. If the option ‘--nocheck-order’ is given, unsorted inputs will
never cause an error message.
If neither of these options is given, wrongly sorted inputs are
diagnosed only if an input file
is found to contain unpairable lines, and when both input files are non empty."

"‘--nocheck-order’
Do not check that both input files are in sorted order. This is the default."

Suppose that the joining field in both files are sorted by some
ordering that 'join' don't know (for example, the joining field is a
concatenation of a string and a number), what options should be used
to join files with such ordered joining fields?

--
Regards,
Peng