Re: Problem while compiling libstdbuf

From: Pádraig Brady
Subject: Re: Problem while compiling libstdbuf
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2012 14:31:43 +0100

On 06/01/2012 02:17 PM, Basavaraj B wrote:
> Hi Team,
>
> I am compiling coreutils-8.14 on NonStop (TANDEM) platform.
> Currently I need to compile stdbuf which has libstdbuf.so dependency.
>
> I modified configure and configure.ac <http://configure.ac> to avoid check of
> $elf_sys and $GCC so that I could generate stdbuf and libstdbuf.so
> successfully.
> Only stdbuf binary is generated but no libstdbuf.so.
>
> we use c99 compiler.
> Please help me solving this issue.

The libstdbuf shared lib was restricted to gcc elf systems,
due to the amazing variance for shared lib support on various systems.
I didn't want to introduce libtool either due to the added complexity.

So...

If you look in src/Makefile.am you can see:

  # Note libstdbuf is only compiled if GCC is available
  # (as per the check in configure.ac), so these flags should be available.
  # libtool is probably required to relax this dependency.
  libstdbuf_so_LDFLAGS = -shared
  libstdbuf_so_CFLAGS = -fPIC $(AM_CFLAGS)

So I guess you might need to tweak those options?
If you get it working it would be great if you
could report back so that we might support something
more generic in the build.

cheers,
Pádraig.