sort -V and accents

From: Pierre-Jean
Subject: sort -V and accents
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 12:24:45 +0200

Hello alls,

I'm trying to sort a file containing accents and numbers,
but can't find a way to do this correctly:

- Without -V option, accents are correctly sorted, but not
  numbers.
- With -V option, numbers are correctly sorted, but not
  accents.

Here is an example:

echo "
A 10
A 9
E 10
E 9
e 10
e 9
é 10
é 9
F 10
f 9 " | sort -f

Return:

A 10
A 9
e 10
E 10
é 10
e 9
E 9
é 9
F 10
f 9

--> Here accents are correctly sorted according to my
locale: they are considered as a non accentuated letter.
But numbers are not sorted in mathematical order.

`sort -f -V` return:

A 9
A 10
e 9
E 9
e 10
E 10
f 9
F 10
é 9
é 10

--> Here, numbers are correctly sorted, but the behavior
concerning accents is different than before -- and doesn't
respect my locale.

Is it a normal behaviour?  If so, how can I use sort to
respect arithmetic numeral order, *and* my locale order
concerning accents?

For information:

sort (GNU coreutils) 8.17
Linux x32 3.4.5-1-ARCH (Arch linux)