Re: [HEADS-UP] Rawhide: /tmp is now on tmpfs

From: Bernhard Voelker
Subject: Re: [HEADS-UP] Rawhide: /tmp is now on tmpfs
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 08:18:42 +0200 (CEST)

On September 13, 2012 at 5:47 AM Bob Proulx <address@hidden> wrote:
> Pádraig Brady wrote:
> > So `sort` should stick to /tmp I think, and not worry
> > about system implementation details.
>
> +1

+1

> I think sort should stick to /tmp since that is the behavior most
> people would expect.  There is always TMPDIR for customization.
>
> [...] And by reasonable sized I mean large
> enough to use for temporary space for video editing.  :-)

And this is another point: one won't sort video files. The question
is: what data and options must one have so that sort starts growing
e.g. >512M ? My guess is that on a home PC such a situation will
never happen. One would need huge input files ... which in turn
usually are created and processed on bigger servers.

Are there any numbers at hand how many memory sort needs based on
the input and the options? ... maybe a short section about this
wouldn't harm in the texi file, just as a rule of thumb.

Have a nice day,
Berny