Re: readlink(1) of more than one file?

From: Pádraig Brady
Subject: Re: readlink(1) of more than one file?
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 08:47:55 +0000

On 12/13/2012 05:34 AM, Jim Meyering wrote:
Jim Meyering wrote:
The awkward/somewhat redundant -n, --no-newline option
is handled in the same way as on BSD and the help text adjusted like:

-  -n, --no-newline              do not output the trailing newline\n\
+  -n, --no-newline              do not output the separator character\n\

Good point.
Now that the long-named --no-newline is a misnomer, we might want to
provide a better long-named option (like --no-separator) and begin the
deprecation process.  E.g., warn that the --no-newline option is being
deprecated, and add a FIXME to give an error in a few years.

As I reread this, I think changing/deprecating is not worth the
trouble after all.

Yes the option itself is of marginal use,
and so best just keep it around for compat
with older GNU readlink and BSD's variant.

thanks,
Pádraig.