Re: Fedora - OpenSUSE i18n patches

From: Pádraig Brady
Subject: Re: Fedora - OpenSUSE i18n patches
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 13:09:29 +0000

On 01/16/2013 12:43 PM, Ondrej Oprala wrote:
Hello,
I'd like to ask about the coreutils maintainers' opinion on integrating (even
partially) i18n patches used in openSUSE and Fedora into upstream. Should it be
attempted at all? Any and all opinions/ideas/criticism would be highly
appreciated.
This idea was originally proposed by Bernhard Voelker.

So yes we need to get i18n support upstream.
Though I don't think the existing downstream patches are the way to go.
There have been many fixed bugs, and new bugs keep cropping up.
Also the approach and performance don't work for me.

I started a while back with a adding i18n support to join through libunistring:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/coreutils/2010-09/msg00029.html

Now that's a bit too big of a first bite as the join, sort
and uniq sort orders are highly coupled.  So I'll see can
I merge a subset of that at least, and also start with
utils that can be worked on in isolation.

thanks,
Pádraig.