Re: Need help tracking down a possible bug in coreutils 6.12

From: Bernhard Voelker
Subject: Re: Need help tracking down a possible bug in coreutils 6.12
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 15:52:12 +0200 (CEST)

> On August 27, 2013 at 12:35 PM Philipp Thomas <address@hidden> wrote:
> I have a bug report where cp is passed '-x' but still goes into a different
> filesystem. Case in question uses 'cp -x /sys /tmp/foobar' and although
> /sys/kernel/debug is the mountpoint of debugfs cp does go into it. Does
> /anybody have an explanation for this or at least a hint where to search?

Hi Philipp,

unfortunately, you didn't show the actual command you executed,
i.e. a bare 'cp -x /sys /tmp/foobar' will not copy anything
(e.g. here on my SLES-10.3 with coreutils-5.93):

  $ cp -x /sys /tmp/foobar
  cp: omitting directory `/sys'

Therefore, I'm assuming you specified at least the -r option.

On the above host, /sys/kernel/debug is also a debugfs mount point
but it is empty, so that empty directory is created by cp(1) in the
target directory (since commit 0d338619 in 1998, FILEUTILS-3_16u).

Do you have files in /sys/kernel/debug/ ?

Other than that, I don't see a commit related to such an issue
in the past 10 years.

Re. debugging:
I'd start with 'strace -v -e fstat,lstat,fstat64,lstat64' and
compare the entry of "/sys" versus that of "/sys/kernel/debug".

Have a nice day,
Berny