make install -D create directories if -t

From: Caleb Cushing
Subject: make install -D create directories if -t
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2014 10:12:10 -0500

I think the behavior of -D should be as a cheap way to do mkdir -p in
one with the copying of files and stuffs.

my suggestion is that I should be able to write

install -D /path/to/myfile.txt -t /dest/path

and that should create /dest/path/myfile.txt regardless of whether
/dest/path existed already (obviously assuming I have permission to do
so). This seems the most Do What I Mean.

having to write out (esp if given long paths)

install -D /path/to/myfile.txt /dest/path/myfile.txt

seems overly verbose.

p.s. I am not on the list cc me
--
Caleb Cushing