When Streaming - 'dd' Value too large for defined data type

From: rogerx . oss
Subject: When Streaming - 'dd' Value too large for defined data type
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2014 00:31:27 -0800

I have a script which uses 'dd' (instead of 'cat') for capturing a timed DVB
stream or feed for 30, 60, 90, ... minutes.  (From memory, I stopped using
'cat' a long time ago either because 'cat' had problems with TV channels
containing static or due to large file size.)

A sporadic error received when using 'dd' is the following:

--- Snip ---
/mnt/archives1/tv/20140611-1700-ch9.1-60min.mpg

dd: error reading '/dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0': Value too large for defined data
type
73145+0 records in

73145+0 records out

37450240 bytes (37 MB) copied, 38.2406 s, 979 kB/s

dd: warning: invalid file offset after failed read
--- Snip ---

My guess is, since dd doesn't know the exact initial size or the proper number
of interval bytes, dd spawns this error.  Or, there maybe static within the
signal or overload.  Although my rational doesn't seem to match the given
error, sometimes errors might be just generic in a sense.  (ie. 'dd' was likely
engineered for file copying, and copying a live stream was later.)

My second guess, there's likely no way to avert the error and is likely a
harmless error.

Channel 9.1 is PBS at my location over DVB TV, a large file at times:
VIDEO:  MPEG2  1280x720  (aspect 3)  59.940 fps  24000.0 kbps (3000.0 kbyte/s)
AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, ac3be, 384.0 kbit/25.00% (ratio: 48000->192000)

Bottom line, the recorded video file (stream) looks just fine and I don't think
I've ever seen any anomalies.  If any video/audio problems created by this
error, I've never see a player or editor complain, or the editor automatically
fixes the file.

--
Roger
http://rogerx.freeshell.org/