Re: dd effect on cloning of iso file to usb stick

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: dd effect on cloning of iso file to usb stick
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2014 19:54:43 -0600

On 10/02/2014 07:29 PM, jb wrote:
> jb <jb.1234abcd@...> writes:

> What if I wanted to retain the standard bit-by-bit cloning ability, that is,
> to clone file.iso to file.iso on a usb stick, without that on-the-fly iso
> transformation to multiple partitions ?

Then copy your file into a file system already residing on a partition
of the disk, rather than to the entire disk.

> How would I go about making a classic backup/cloning of file.iso with dd ?

Assuming you have already formatted /dev/sdb1 to contain the filesystem
of your choice (usb sticks usually use FAT, but that's a horrible
filesystem, so I prefer ext4), then:

mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/whatever
dd if=file.iso of=/mnt/whatever/file.iso

Or even

cp file.iso /mnt/whatever/file.iso

as soon as you are talking about moving the iso as a file, rather than
as a disk image, then use normal file system operations instead of raw
access to /dev/sdb.