Re: ls: change default color for directory

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: ls: change default color for directory
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 08:01:04 -0600

On 10/17/2014 03:42 AM, Siegfried Kiermayer wrote:
> Hey,
>
> first of i'm sry i was unaware that i can't answer you guys without
> subscribing to the mailing list. Therefore my only solution was to
> subscribe and send a new 'Thread'?! :(

Not true; non-subscribers posts are moderated, but we allow anything on
topic through the moderation queue, regardless of subscription status.
You can always reply to an existing message by learning the headers for
the message you are replying to (the archive site includes the ability
to download .mbox files, if you need full headers), or you can use
gateways like gmane to reply in a threaded manner even to mails you did
not originally receive.

> Therefore i was wondering if there is a chance to overthink the defaults
> after x years.

At this point, changing the defaults is more likely to draw complaints
from other people that liked the defaults, while people that already
know to use dircolors to customize their setup won't notice the change
in defaults.  Customizing your own environment, via dircolors, really is
the ideal solution.