Re: Hack on one of the coreutils programs

From: Pádraig Brady
Subject: Re: Hack on one of the coreutils programs
Date: Sun, 31 May 2015 20:17:01 +0100

On 31/05/15 18:15, Tomas Nordin wrote:
> Hi
>
> Given a cloned local repo of the coreutils, how to hack on one of the
> utilities and test it.
>
> Say I want to try and see if I can make something interesting with the
> ls program, something with the output. Do you have any pointers or
> guidance on how to go about doing this. I mean, not from the actual code
> change perspective but all the practical things around it. The compile
> procedure and the testing of the experimental result.
>
> I get confused about this, if not for else because all those utils are
> already on my system, so I guess I don't want to make a full install of
> the play code for trying it out.

Off the top of my head:

 git clone --depth=1 git://git.sv.gnu.org/coreutils.git
 cd coreutils
 ./bootstrap && ./configure --quiet && make -j$(nproc)
 git checkout -b my-branch
 vim src/ls.c
 make
 # make install # to install to /usr/local/... by default
 # (which is adjustable with ./configure options).

See also:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=coreutils.git;a=blob;f=README-hacking;hb=HEAD

If looking to send changes back upstream for inclusion see:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=coreutils.git;a=blob;f=HACKING;hb=HEAD

cheers,
Pádraig.