Re: building coreutils

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: building coreutils
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2015 06:51:17 -0600

On 09/29/2015 05:36 PM, st. drum wrote:
> Can someone help me about free software from GNU project. I downloaded some
> packages, in this case coreutils
> http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/coreutils.html , then started
> browsing through files and found sources, but after trying to compile any
> of it it says mainly that config.h is missing and after that many other. I
> tried to run ./bootstrap script, which I found is meant for checking
> dependencies and installed all of that, but nothing changed.
>
> I just want to study the code and modifiy it and run it for myself now, not
> interested in any git commiting, I saw alot about it and am not interested
> in it now. I will learn git later. Just want to know how to edit code and
> compile it without mess. I read all of the README stuff from the project
> but eventually haven't figured it out.

When working from git, read HACKING to get an idea of what you need.  It
may be simpler to work from release tarballs, as they do not require as
much effort on the prerequisites.

A git checkout requires ./bootstrap to import additional files, then
./configure to create config.h.  With those two steps, you can then run
make to compile things.