Re: feature request for coreutils: b2sum

From: Zooko Wilcox-OHearn
Subject: Re: feature request for coreutils: b2sum
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2015 16:59:37 +0000

Folks:

Earlier in this discussion Pádraig Brady asked ¹ if we had submitted
BLAKE2 for inclusion in openssl. We have ², but they haven't yet
included it ³.

Eventually, I think, openssl will support highly optimized
implementations of BLAKE2, but I think it will be a long time before
that is widely deployed and GNU coreutils can rely on it.

In the meantime, could we go ahead and use the portable C reference
implementation ⁴, or the even smaller RFC implementation ⁵?

Here is the code for the "b2sum" command-line tool that comes with the
reference implementation: ⁶

Regards,

Zooko

¹ http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/coreutils/2015-06/msg00011.html
² https://mta.openssl.org/pipermail/openssl-dev/2015-June/001688.html
³
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.encryption.openssl.devel/30514/match=blake2https://github.com/BLAKE2/BLAKE2/blob/master/ref/blake2b-ref.chttps://github.com/mjosaarinen/blake2_mjosref/blob/master/blake2b.chttps://github.com/BLAKE2/BLAKE2/blob/master/b2sum/b2sum.c