Feature suggestion: sort --skip-header-lines=N (and perhaps --skip-trail

From: Annihilannic
Subject: Feature suggestion: sort --skip-header-lines=N (and perhaps --skip-trailer-lines?)
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 15:31:10 +1100

Hi,

I find that I frequently need to sort the tabular output of a command that includes heading lines, so often that I've written my own wrapper 'sorthead <n> <sort options>'. In other words, preserve the position of the specified number of lines of input data.

I think this would be a generally useful feature to add to the sort command, with a syntax similar to --skip-header-lines=N. Has it been considered and discarded before? A cursory search of this mailing list did not turn up any prior discussions.

Handling trailing lines in a similar way could also be useful.

Regards,

Scott