Re: Enhancement request for tee - please add the option to not quit on S

From: Assaf Gordon
Subject: Re: Enhancement request for tee - please add the option to not quit on SIGPIPE when someother files are still opened
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 23:33:41 -0500

Hello Jirka,

Regarding this:

On 11/19/2015 08:58 PM, Jirka Hladky wrote:
The general problem I have with >(process substitutions) are that
they are completely asynchronous.  There is no way to tell if they
are done.

Yes, I agree with you on this one. However, I don't see the other way
how to send the output of one process to multiple sub-processes in
shell.

If I may suggest this slightly verbose shell script (attached) - it should do
what you want (sending output to multiple processes)
while still allowing tight control over each background process, and also
collecting their results in an organized fashion
(ie keeping stdout,stderr,exitcode in a file for each test) - making further
diagnosis much easier.

if there's a need to combine the outputs from all the tests (e.g. to find the smallest
p-value from all tests) -  it's just a matter of "cat *.out" once
all the tests are done.

Note that this does not solve the "--no-stdout" issue - just the ">()" part. It should
also make the shell script portable (except using GNU tee's "-p" parameter).

The output should be:

    tee: standard output: Bad file descriptor
    == Test 1 exited with code 0 ==
    == Test 1 STDOUT ==
    104857600
    == Test 2 exited with code 0 ==
    == Test 2 STDOUT ==
    1
    == Test 3 exited with code 1 ==
    == Test 3 STDOUT ==
    == Test 3 STDERR ==
    wc: unrecognized option '--foo'
    Try 'wc --help' for more information.
    == Test 4 exited with code 0 ==
    == Test 4 STDOUT ==
    32768
    ==
    Test results stored in /tmp/tmp.esLAoUxeLQ

Comments and corrections welcomed.

Hope this helps,
regards,
 - assaf