Re: /proc/self/mountinfo versus chroot

From: Rick Troth
Subject: Re: /proc/self/mountinfo versus chroot
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2016 10:38:52 -0500

Please see attached.
It's a context diff (hope I got it right) for which the modified files
are at http://www.casita.net/tmp/ (because of size).
The patch adds config option "--enable-mtab". Probably better to do that
in "configure.ac" but I'm low on the Autoconf learning curve.

        http://www.casita.net/tmp/coreutils-8.24.diff
        http://www.casita.net/tmp/configure
        http://www.casita.net/tmp/mountlist.c

 ... and I also now find that it's late.

On 03/03/2016 09:57 PM, Pádraig Brady wrote:
> Note coreutils 8.25 has a change wrt bind mounts to prioritize mounts
> nearer the device root, which might help you:
> http://git.sv.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=coreutils.git;a=commitdiff;h=v8.24-31-g3babaf8

*blush*
8.25 has been out for more than six weeks already. (Coreutils is one of
the packages I try to keep really current.)

I will give 8.25 a whirl and let you know how it looks, both in 'chroot'
and in the bind-laden "system disk" hack.

> Note /proc/self/mountinfo is more informative than /proc/mounts
> in this context as it has more info.

Sounds good.

The nice thing about /proc/mounts is that it can serve as a dynamic
/etc/mtab. (Thus the distributors got seduced into using it full time.)

The nice thing about /etc/mtab is that admins, developers, and tinkers
can manually set it however they feel they need. The flames against it
on the lists are a little surprising, and rather sad.

-- R; <><