Re: build fails due to 'lib/assert.h' on mac os x

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: Re: build fails due to 'lib/assert.h' on mac os x
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2016 15:51:36 -0700

On Fri, Sep 9, 2016 at 1:47 PM, Jim Meyering <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 9, 2016 at 1:29 PM, Jim Meyering <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> That fixed the build on Mac OS X.
>>
>> Thanks for checking.
>> I was not satisfied with my knee-jerk fix, since I hadn't really
>> understood the failure, ... so backed out my change locally on each
>> system (centos and osx) and tried to reproduce, but now cannot
>> reproduce it, anywhere. I even tried in a just-cloned repository.
>>
>> Assaf, would you please try to reproduce that failure in a just-cloned
>> working directory?
>
> Actually, I've just reproduced it again, so I should be able to deal with it.

The real problem is that the getprogname module is using the assert-h
module unnecessarily. That module is required only for C11-conformant
static_assert, not for mere <assert.h>.
Here's the patch for that (in gnulib) that I will push soon:

P.S., There is still the issue that one should be able to use the
assert-h module only from a gnulib-test in a partially non-recursive
project like coreutils, but I will not pursue that one right now.