Re: FEATURE REQUEST: Re: 'ls' human-readable sizes

From: Pádraig Brady
Subject: Re: FEATURE REQUEST: Re: 'ls' human-readable sizes
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2017 12:09:38 -0700

On 18/06/17 03:51, Boruch Baum wrote:
> When I visually scan 'ls -lh' output, I find it difficult to notice
> every instance of the convenience presentation of 'k' and 'm'. Could
> you consider making them more visible, either through colorization of the
> letter,
> bold face of the letter, indentation, or marking?
>
> By indentation, I mean comething like:
>
>    111
>      4M
>     11
>
> By marking, I mean something like:
>
>    111
>     4M<-
>     11

This wouldn't be core functionality so if we were to do that
it would be better in numfmt I think. For example you can get ls -lh
functionality now with numfmt like:

  \ls -l | numfmt --header --field=5 --to=si

Looking at my numfmt TODO here I see this pertinent item:

  Have numfmt --format='%f ' put a space between number and auto units

cheers,
Pádraig