Re: ls man page/quoting_style

From: Michael Stone
Subject: Re: ls man page/quoting_style
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2017 22:56:16 -0400

On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 06:30:21PM -0700, Pádraig Brady wrote:
For reference, env vars are not ideal for user preferences
as they're significant when parsing command output (not a tty).
I.E. globally set env vars in user settings may cause bugs in scripts.
This is not a big deal in this case as QUOTING_STYLE=literal is
already the default for non tty.  Also ls output is exceedingly
hard to parse in a robust manner and is best avoided anyway.

My personal objection to things like "QUOTING_STYLE" is that they're awfully polluting of the namespace and should have been something like COREUTILS_QUOTING. All water under the bridge now, just like the fact that ls is a horrible mismash of human readable functionality and de facto use in legacy scripts. Better if we could start over with ls having a flag for an easily parseable output mode that everyone could have gotten on board with 40 years ago, and a human mode that could be configured with dotfiles or something. Oh well.

Mike Stone