Re: multibyte support (round 4) - tr

From: Sebastian Kisela
Subject: Re: multibyte support (round 4) - tr
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2018 17:10:41 +0100

Hi!

> The patch is getting too big to attach, so it is available here:
> https://files.housegordon.org/src/coreutils-multibyte-2017-12-11.patch.xz
> (perhaps a non-master branch on the savannah git would be better?)
>
> Yes that would be nice, if that is not too problematic.

I tried the `tr` part of the patch and the tests passed well.

Although I am not sure if I get it correctly,
but there is a wide usage of wchar_t type in it. From what I understood so
far, it is risky to use it
in case a cygwin(or the others..) script tries to translate a character
which takes more than 2 bytes.

Since most of the characters ever translated will probably not take more
than 2 bytes,
(which is most important in my opinion) do I get it right, that the wider
characters are not considered so far?

example usage of a problematic use case:
(Georgian letter AEN)
printf '\xe1\x83\xbd' | src/tr '[:lower:]' '[:upper:]'

Thanks!

Best regards,
Sebastian.